Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Internet as Queen Bee: Or How I Learned to Stop Thinking and Love the Web


The thought has occurred to me that the Internet is altering not only how we process information but also how we retain it.

In the past I would be inclined to get to the bottom of a topic so that I could file it properly in my long term memory. But now I frequently just tell myself that if I want more factoids when a need arises, I'll just "Google" it.
As an Actor and Filmmaker more and more of the projects offered to me are "Snack-Sized" for fast consumption and limited or compressed thought.
Are we humans becoming slaves to the web and how it works?
Is this amazing information/communication/entertainment hub modifying us to serve "it" in the way "it" works best?
With every passing day we seem to be more Hive-minded with the Internet as our passive but demanding queen.
Buzz.
Later,

Paul Parducci


PS: Here is a fantastic article by Nicholas Carr from the Atlantic

No comments: